Driving Adventure in Gran Canaria Mountains

Discussion in 'Gran Canaria Photos' started by Gran Canaria Blog, Aug 28, 2013.

1. After the intense heatwaves of last week, I was in search of some cooler weather. The weather forecast predicted rain, so yesterday was the perfect day for an adventure in the mountains of Gran Canaria.

A quick stop at Primark in El Mirador shopping center, Telde was needed first. After an hour of browsing the shops, it was clear there had been a bit of a downpour in Telde as all the floors were wet.

Jumping in the car, we set out for Tafira with the intention of heading inland from there via San Mateo.

[IMG]

As the rain came down, the trees released the lovely fresh smell of eucalyptus, the plants and flora looked very green and lush. With the low cloud and temperature drop, I was glad of the sweater that I had purchased earlier on in Primark.

A rural driveway
    [IMG]

It was around 16Âșc degrees at Cruz de Tejeda and raining lightly. Hotel Parador de Tejeda was the perfect place for a bathroom break then we were on our way again, headed to Artenara, that you may remember we visited on Canary Islands Day in May.

A weathered arched wall in Cruz de Tejeda
    [IMG]

Artenara the village with the most altitude in Gran Canaria, has a special cave restaurant called Mirador La Cilla. There is a very impressive statue of Jesus Christ on the hill above the restaurant which looks over the village. From inside the restaurant the view is spectacular and a really nice setting for lunch.

Menestra de verduras frescas
    [IMG]

Amazing view from Mirador La Cilla Restaurant
    [IMG]

After lunch we carried on our Gran Canaria adventure following the signs for Lugarejos, winding roads led us to a beautiful lake guarded by a lush pine forest.
    [IMG]

Carrying on through the small rural roads we began to get a great view of Mt. Teide and the silhouette of Tenerife in the direction of Agaete.
    [IMG]

On arriving in Agaete, I could hardly believe that not 2 hours ago I had needed a sweater, as we were welcomed by blue sky, big fluffy clouds and sunshine.
    [IMG]

The promenade of Agaete provided a great place to stretch our legs and take in the scenery plus a bit of sunshine!
    [IMG]

It's great to relax on the beach but Gran Canaria has some wonderful hidden treasures that you will only see if you get out of the main resorts and explore. I recommend you hire a rent a car and find your version of Gran Canaria. All of the photos in this blog post were taken on the same trip, so you feel different seasons in one day, plus those secret corners of the island that the guide books won't tell you about.

[IMG]
    Do you enjoy my blog posts? Love finding out about Gran Canaria and all of it's secrets? Then follow Gran Canaria Blog on the internet!
    FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | GALLERY | FORUM

Continue Reading in grancanariablog.com ..
    Miss Norway likes this.
  2. Miss Norway Active Member

Thank you for the trip and the nice pictures! :) I been just once up in the mountains, but I really loved it! Hope to one day rent a car and see Agaete. It looks like a very special place, and I havent been on that side of the island yet. One of the things that I like on Gran Canaria is the change in the weather like you describe it here. :)
    Gran Canaria Blog likes this.